The National Institute for Health Research
To improve the health and wealth of the nation through research.
To provide a health research system in which the NHS supports outstanding individuals working in world-class facilities, conducting leading-edge research focused on the needs of patients and the public.
- Establish the NHS as an internationally recognised centre of research excellence
- Attract, develop and retain the best research professionals to conduct people-based research
- Commission research focused on improving health and social care
- Strengthen and streamline systems for research management and governance
- Increase the opportunities for patients and the public to participate in, and benefit from, research
- Promote and protect the interests of patients and the public in health research
- Drive faster translation of scientific discoveries into tangible benefits for patients
- Maximise the research potential of the NHS to contribute to the economic growth of the country through the life sciences industry
- Act as sound custodians of public money for the public good.