i4i Challenge Awards
Challenge awards are based on themed calls in areas of existing or emerging healthcare need. The next challenge awards competition will be launching In January 2017, inviting applications for funding for innovative technological solutions in the area of mental health which have the potential to influence the patient care pathway; improving outcomes for those experiencing mental health problems. One call will be commissioned per year for two consecutive years (2017-2018). The competition will operate on a ‘winner takes all’ basis, with no upper limit on funds requested.
Minor or incremental changes to technologies in current clinical use are outside the remit of i4i Challenge awards. The expected output is a disruptive technology with the potential to offer improved outcomes for NHS patients.
Essential requirements for Challenge Awards:
- Any R&D activities must be within the scope of the i4i Programme (see What we fund).
- Projects must be of three to five years’ duration.
- A minimum of two organisations must be involved from either an NHS Trust, HEI or SME.
- Applications must include the involvement of an NHS Trust or NHS service provider.
- Projects must include first-in-man or later stage trials.
- Lead applicants must be based in England.
- Work packages must not include animal studies.
- Projects must have progressed beyond basic research and have demonstrated proof-of-concept.