Consultation on the wider use of patient information – support documents
The original questionnaire that was used as the basis for the Department of Health public consultation into the uses of patient data for additional uses can be viewed here:
The list of stakeholder groups that were contacted directly and invited to submit a response to the consultation can be viewed here:
Example patient records as referenced in the questionnaire can be viewed here:
Glossary of terms that are included within the consultation are detailed here:
Further background information on the issues raised by the consultation can be found in the links and documents attached below:
- "Academy of Medical Sciences - Personal data for public good: using health information in medical research"; January 2006.
- Armstrong et al, Public Perspectives on the Governance of Biomedical Research: A Qualitative study in a deliberate context (PDF 2.77Mb). Wellcome Trust, 2007.
- BMJ article: Balancing potential risks and benefits of using confidential data. MRC Consent and Confidentiality Group BMJ article by Christina Davies, Rory Collins, et al, BMJ 2006;333;349-351.
- BMJ article: Governance of research that uses identifiable personal data, by Robert Souhami. BMJ 2006;333-315.
- BMJ article: National Survey of British public's views on use of identifiable medical data by the National Cancer Registry. By Geraldine Barrett, Jackie A. Cassell, Janet L Peacock and Michel P Coleman. BMJ 2006;332:1068-1072.
- Data Protection Act 1998.
- MRC ethics series: personal information in medical research; Medical Research Council, 2006.
- NHS Care Record Guarantee.
- NHS Care Records Service.
- NHS Care Record Service - how can I find out more?
- NHS code of practice on confidentiality. London: Department of Health, November 2003.
- NHS Choose and Book - staff overview.
- NHS Connecting for Health Electronic Prescription Service.
- Report of the Care Record Development Board (CRDB) working group on the secondary uses of patient information, (PDF 209Kb).