National Institute for Health and Care Research
We fund, enable and deliver world-leading health and social care research that improves people's health and wellbeing, and promotes economic growth.
Join the TrialBlazers, our community of research volunteers
TrialBlazers are people just like you. By volunteering in research, they help others live healthier and better lives, now and in the future. The TrialBlazers campaign takes place from Monday 16 May to Sunday 29 May, marking International Clinical Trials Day on Friday 20 May.
We fund a variety of commissioned, researcher-led and themed call research:
- in health, social care and public health
- in Global Health
We support the development of professionals through:
- personal awards including Fellowships
- practitioner academic training
- Global Health Research careers
Making a Difference
Read about how our work is influencing care, and making a positive difference to people, and the economy.
These are the stories of our research .
Applied health and care research on both commissioned and researcher-identified topic areas.
Find out more about our expertise, specialist facilities, research delivery workforce and support services.
Specialty therapy areas
The NIHR funds and supports research:
- in all specialty therapy areas
- delivered by expert clinical leaders and practitioners
- through effective collaboration
Global Health Research
NIHR is a major funder of high quality global health research that directly addresses the diverse health needs of people in low and middle income countries (LMICs).
Journals, publications and data
Explore NIHR-supported research projects, their findings and data from our range of resources:
- 5+ journals and publications for the public, care and research professionals
- 3+ open access health research databases