National Institute for Health Research
We fund, enable and deliver world-leading health and social care research that improves people's health and wellbeing, and promotes economic growth.
Ground-breaking COVID-19 antiviral treatment trial opens to recruitment
A first-of-its-kind clinical trial to investigate the effectiveness of new COVID-19 oral antiviral treatments - which can be safely taken at home - has begun enrolling participants today.
We fund a variety of commissioned, researcher-led and themed call research:
- in health, social care and public health
- in Global Health
We support the development of professionals through:
- personal awards including Fellowships
- practitioner academic training
- Global Health Research careers
Applied health and care research on both commissioned and researcher-identified topic areas.
Find out more about our expertise, specialist facilities, research delivery workforce and support services.
Specialty therapy areas
The NIHR supports research delivered:
- in 30 specialty therapy areas
- by expert clinical leaders and practitioners
- through effective collaboration
Global Health Research
NIHR is a major funder of high quality global health research that directly addresses the diverse health needs of people in low and middle income countries (LMICs).
Journals, publications and data
Explore NIHR-supported research projects, their findings and data from our range of resources:
- 5+ journals and publications for the public, care and research professionals
- 3+ open access health research databases