Dr Mark Toal, Deputy Director - Research Systems
Mark is accountable for a number of aspects of NIHR systems, including:
- Overall NIHR financial monitoring and planning, including NIHR policy on Research Capability Funding and Excess Treatment Costs
- The NIHR contract and elements of NIHR procurement, including procurement of the NIHR Co-ordinating Centres
- Cross-NIHR Information Systems and data policy
- Analysis of NIHR research impact
- NIHR communications policy
- Supporting NIHR Strategy Board
In addition to his NIHR-facing accountabilities, Mark is responsible for sponsorship of the Health Research Authority.
Mark has held a number of policy, strategy and delivery roles within DHSC and other Government Departments. Prior to his time in the civil service, Mark was a research scientist at the Natural Environment Research Council and has a PhD in Environmental Biology from the University of Liverpool.