- generate innovative new healthcare solutions
- evaluate the effectiveness and impact of new healthcare treatments
- find new ways of preventing, identifying and treating ill health
- publish and disseminate their findings to ensure that decisions about health and social care are being informed by the best possible evidence.
Our Research Design Service provides support for health and social care researchers to develop and design patient-focused research proposals for submission to NIHR and other national, peer-reviewed competitions.
Through partnerships with universities, our Blood and Transplant Research Units and Health Protection Research Units address the research priorities of NHS Blood and Transplant and Public Health England respectively.
Our Surgical Reconstruction and Microbiology Research Centre brings both military and civilian trauma surgeons and scientists together in a partnership with the Ministry of Defence, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust and the University of Birmingham.
Specific aspects of health and care research we fund and support include:
Efficacy and cost effectiveness
Health services and social care
Public health, protection and prevention, safety and improvement
NHS priority or need
- Blood and Transplant Research Units
- Programme Grants for Applied Research
- Research for Patient Benefit Programme
- Surgical Reconstruction and Microbiology Research Centre
Innovative medical technologies