The information systems developed by the NIHR and the approach adopted in their design and implementation, is based on an agreed set of Data Standards overseen by the NIHR Design Authority which has been established to ensure integration across all NIHR systems. The main systems are:
- this website which acts as the primary public and stakeholder facing information presence for the NIHR
- a multifunctional collaboration tool called the NIHR Hub to enable researchers and staff work together securely across the NIHR on both research projects and the administration of research. This provides:
- corporate email
- video conferencing
- a Directory of users
- tools to create and collaborate on the production of documents and materials such as research protocols and appropriate data sets
- a central portfolio of NIHR research
- A service to collate data from all the NIHR Coordinating Centres to produce a consistent oversight of the performance of the NIHR
- A system that enables patients, the public and clinicians to search for information about ongoing clinical trials that may be of interest to them or which they may wish to participate in.
All the information systems within the NIHR are overseen by the NIHR Information Strategy Board which is working to implement the NIHR Information Strategy published in 2013. Wider updates on progress are also provide in the regular NIHR Briefing document.