Royal College of General Practitioners and NIHR Clinical Research Network Awards 2021
All applications should be emailed to GPresearchawards@nihr.ac.uk
If you need an application form or the guidance notes in a different format please email GPresearchawards@nihr.ac.uk
For further information or queries please email GPresearchawards@nihr.ac.uk
Since its inception in 2006, the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) has significantly increased the scale of clinical research in the NHS, particularly through the NIHR Clinical Research Network. The enthusiastic engagement of NHS clinicians is an essential condition for sustaining and building on this success, particularly given the many competing demands on clinician time and resources. This award scheme aims to recognise outstanding contributions of NHS clinicians to the conduct of NIHR Clinical Research Network Portfolio research studies.
This award scheme is for current Members or Fellows of the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP). The scheme recognises research-active NHS general practices that are demonstrating excellence and innovation in delivering NIHR CRN research. In addition, there is an award for First5® GPs who demonstrate an emerging interest and experience in delivering NIHR CRN research within a primary care setting.
- Practice applications must be submitted in the name of a current Fellow or Member of the RCGP
- Practices must be contributing to NIHR CRN studies during the specified timeframe
- First5® GPs must be a current First5® member and have contributed to NIHR CRN research in a general practice/primary care setting during the specified timeframe.
Applicants are required to outline their contribution to NIHR Clinical Research Network Portfolio studies during the timeframe 01 Jan 2020 through 30 June 2021, with particular weight being attached to:
- the range and number of patients in NIHR CRN studies in the UK
- how patients have been engaged and informed of new opportunities to participate in CRN clinical research
- the contribution made to the delivery of studies
- innovative methods of study delivery
- application content timeframe is 01 Jan 2020 through 30 June 2021.
- RCGP/CRN practice award - £1000 and a glass trophy
- RCGP/CRN First5® award - £500 and a glass trophy
A RCGP Annual Conference day pass and travel (up to £150) will be funded.
Application process and judging of applications
- Applications should be made using the application form. Any additional information supplied will not be considered by the panel
- Applicants should note the word limit on each section of the form
- Applications will be accepted from Sunday 1 May 2021
- Application forms must be received no later than 23:59 on Wednesday 30 June 2021
- Receipt of applications will be acknowledged by email
- Applications will be assessed jointly by a RCGP/CRN panel including patient representatives.
- Successful applicants will be notified by 31 July 2021 (embargoed until formal announcement post-conference).
- All submitting applicants will be notified of the outcome by 31 July 2021. Please note that we expect a high number of applications and will be unable to provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants.
The awards will be presented during the RCGP Annual Conference on 14-15 October 2021. Award winners must be available to attend this event.