The Excel Industry Costing Template: Getting started
The Excel Industry Costing Template provides a framework for transparent cost display and calculation to support swift local site budget negotiations when planning commercial trials in the NHS.
A new digital (web-based) interactive Costing Tool has been developed which builds on the success of the Excel version. This will enable even faster costing and contracting between the life sciences industry and the NHS as part of the study set-up phase and we would encourage use of the online tool.
Access the latest Excel based Industry Costing Templates
The Excel template required depends on whether you are running a study within primary or secondary care.
These templates are updated annually - and occasionally periodically - so please ensure that the correct master version for each new study is used to ensure you have the latest template.
Please note that there are only TWO industry costing templates. Medical device and drug product versions have now been combined and split by study setting.
Additional Investigation and Intervention Tariff
In order to supplement and assist in the transitional phase between the current costing template and future online versions, a larger tariff has been produced including the current line items and additionally other service support areas previously not covered.
If you find that a particular investigation or intervention is not covered within the current costing template arrangements, then the Investigation and Intervention tariff should help to provide additional guide prices. As you will appreciate, the inclusion of this tariff in the Excel spreadsheet form would potentially risk increased instability in the module. It has therefore been made available to download as a PDF file for your reference.
You are advised to download this to your destination folder and to use the ‘Ctrl F’ function to search for required items.
National Tariff workbooks:
- NIHR 2019 Investigation and Intervention Tariff 1.1
- NIHR Departmental, Set Up and Closedown Tariff 2019/20 Version 1.1
- NIHR Procedures Definitions and Tariff 2019/20 Version 1.1
Where the data comes from
- Review of the site Market Forces Factor by NHSE annually
- Annual Salaries from NHS Employers including prospective uplifts
- Apprenticeship Levy from NHS Employers 0.5%PA for all NHS gross pay costs
- Investigation cost baselining via Specialist Working Groups at senior Institute Level (e.g. Royal College of Pathology, Royal Institute of Ophthalmology) via the NIHR Costing Models Working Group
- NHS Inflator value from NHSE - used to inflate investigation costs on an annual basis.