Following on from a successful NIHR Academy Members’ Conference in 2019, which focused on entrepreneurship and industry collaboration, this webinar seeks to address one area in which many delegates and researchers requested further information on – Intellectual Property (IP).
The webinar will provide an introduction to IP and help NIHR funded researchers understand how they should approach their engagements with industry. This may include:
- Applying for funding with industry as a collaborator (e.g. medtech deployment)
- Applying for funding where industry are providing ‘in kind’ support (e.g. drug re-purposing)
- Licensing NIHR funded IP to industry for commercial use.
In all cases, effective management of IP is key.
This one hour webinar will outline:
- Why is IP important to the NIHR?
- When applying to the NIHR for funding, what IP matters should your application cover?
- Why does the NIHR encourage applications with industry participation or involvement?
- How should you determine who owns the IP created with NIHR funding?
- How should you manage the IP during the research project?
- What are the NIHR publication and open data obligations?
- If there are commercial opportunities, how should you proceed?
- A summary of IP issues to keep in mind when planning and undertaking research involving industrial partners
- Opportunities through NIHR Academy programmes to engage and collaborate with commercial partners.
The webinar will be presented by:
Dr Lee Allen, Assistant Director of IP and Commercial – NIHR IP unit
Charlie Morgan, IP Senior Manager – NIHR IP Unit
Dr Pete Thompson, Director of Programmes and Impact – NIHR Academy