Greater Manchester - Research Practitioner Essentials - Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility
Date: 07 December 2017
Time: 09:00 to 16:30
This training course is delivered over two days and has been developed for Clinical Research Network-supported Research Practitioners - a cohort of staff who are employed to deliver clinical research projects in the NHS - predominantly those projects that are listed in the NIHR portfolio.
Day 1 - Thursday 7th December 2017 - 9.00am to 4.30pm Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility, Grafton Street, Manchester, M13 9WL
Day 2 - Thursday 14th December 2017 - 9.00am to 4.30pm Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility, Grafton Street, Manchester, M13 9WL
Level: Foundation – to be undertaken within 6-12 weeks in post (as part of induction into research practice).
As part of the induction pathway for CRN-supported staff, and under their line management arrangements, it’s expected that the Research Practitioner and line manager would work through their endorsed induction & or competency package together and agree that this course would meet any training gaps that were identified.
The CRN: GM-wide Research Induction Pack is held here for sharing & use within our Partner organisations (check with your Lead Nurse before implementation):-https://sites.google.com/a/nihr.ac.uk/crn-gm-clinical-research-induction-pack/
Aims: This course has a practical focus and has been designed to provide an introduction to working within clinical research in the NHS for research practitioners. It is closely linked to current clinical research competency frameworks.
Research practitioners will have a greater awareness of:
- working in “clinical research”
- expectations of research Sponsors & Investigators with applicable standards (ie. GCP, SOPs)
- the important role they will play in successful study planning & delivery
- NIHR CRN & NHS 6C’s
- Preparing to Deliver Research - Clinical Research Process. Feasibility.
- Study Design - Types of research. Phases of CTIMPs - The Research Protocol
- Applications, approvals and permissions
- Roles and responsibilities - Delegation of duties
- Study Start - Patient recruitment
- Principles & Practicalities of Valid Informed Consent
- Document Management - Site files / Essential documentation - Close Out / Archiving
- Data Management - Data collection - Case Report Form completion - Source Data Verification
- Quality assurance - Standard Operating Procedures - File notes - Management of IMPs - Pharmacovigilance - Monitoring, audit and inspection
This training has a nomination process.
Your line manager should send a message to training.CRNGM@nihr.ac.uk to confirm that:-
- they nominate you to experience this training
- you are employed as a CRN-supported Research Practitioner
- you will be given the full 2 days out of your usual commitments
When we have received the appropriate line manager nomination, we will enrol you on Day 1 of the course and Day 2 when Day 1 has been completed.
The system used to administer and book these courses is a Moodle-based system – ‘CRN Learn.’
Who can access CRN Learn?
All courses require user-registration via: http://learn.nihr.ac.uk
Some courses are accessible to the public – these are nationally administered, e-learning packages.
Courses for research staff
If you are involved in planning or delivering research that involves NHS participants, (or will be in the near future), you will need to register for a CRN Learn account.
Please use your NHS/organisational email address or your NIHR HUB account and ensure that you tell us what your research role is within your registration details.
Please note: Failure to complete any course may incur a charge of £75 to cover NIHR CRN costs.
- Location:Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility, Grafton Street, Manchester, M13 9WL
- Related LCRN:Greater Manchester
- Summary:Research Practitioner Essentials