Step 1 - What is the research question?
Am I eligible?
- Any organisation that considers that it can carry out high-quality clinical, applied health or social care research is likely to be eligible, either directly or with a partner.
- Applicants should check individual funding opportunity guidance documents for eligibility requirements and contact the relevant programme if they have further questions regarding eligibility.
What do we fund?
- We commission and fund research into public health, health services and organisation, clinical evaluation and translation and technology development.
- We fund research to produce and maximise the impact of evidence so that professionals, policy makers and patients can make informed decisions about healthcare and new interventions.
- Most of our programmes fund research that is later rather than earlier in the research pathway and none fund basic research or work involving animals and/or animal tissue.
- If you are looking for career development and support in people and patient-based applied health research please see our training programmes.
Types of funding
Calls are issued for:
- commissioned research that addresses specific topic areas
- researcher-led research on questions proposed directly by researchers
- identified health challenges or government priorities as themed calls for research.