Development and Skills Enhancement Award
- For help with your application contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0113 532 8410
- For more information about the funding Programme, visit the Fellowship Programme Page
The Development and Skills Enhancement Award (DSE) provides a maximum of 1 year of funding for post-doctoral NIHR Academy Members to gain skills and experience for the next phase of their research career. As an applicant you will be required to demonstrate the new skills and experience you hope to gain through the award, and how it will benefit your future career in research.
Applications from the following areas of strategic importance are particularly welcomed:
- health data science
- clinical trials
- entrepreneurship and working with industry
The Award provides a maximum of 1 year funding, which may be used on a part time basis of between 50% and 100% whole time equivalent. There is an expectation that host organisations will match the level of support provided by NIHR at a level of 50%.
All applicants must:
- be a current member of the NIHR Academy
- have completed any relevant pre-registration training (clinical academic applications only)
- have a proposed host who is an HEI, NHS body, or other provider of health and/or care services
- hold a relevant PhD or MD, or have submitted their thesis for examination at the time of application – applicants must have been awarded their PhD or MD by the time they start
- ensure that any previous NIHR awards undertaken finished no longer than 12 months ago – this does not include any time taken for statutory leave
- not have submitted a DSE application in the previous round