Development and Skills Enhancement Award
- For help with your application contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information about the funding Programme, visit the Fellowship Page
The Development and Skills Enhancement Award (DSE) provides a maximum of 1 year of funding for post-doctoral NIHR Academy Members to gain skills and experience for the next phase of their research career. As an applicant you will be required to demonstrate the new skills and experience you hope to gain through the award, and how it will benefit your future career in research.
Applications from the following areas of strategic importance are particularly welcomed:
- health data science
- clinical trials
- entrepreneurship and working with industry
The Award provides a maximum of 1 year funding, which may be used on a part time basis of between 50% and 100% whole time equivalent. There is an expectation that host organisations will match the level of support provided by NIHR at a level of 50%. If the host is not able to match the level of support for the award, the host support will be assessed as part of the application review process.
All applicants must:
- be a current member of the NIHR Academy or have been in the previous 12 months
- have completed any relevant pre-registration training (clinical academic applications only)
- have a proposed host who is an English HEI, NHS body, or other provider of health and/or care services
- hold a relevant PhD or MD, or have submitted their thesis for examination at the time of application – applicants must have been awarded their PhD or MD by the time they start
- ensure that any previous NIHR awards undertaken finished no longer than 12 months ago from when the round launches – this does not include periods of maternity, paternity, adoption or sickness leave
- not have submitted a DSE application in the previous round