The i4i Product Development Awards (PDA) support collaborative research and development of medical devices, in vitro diagnostic devices and high-impact patient-focused digital health technologies for use in health or social care systems. PDA is researcher-led and aims to de-risk innovations to make them more attractive for follow-on funding and investment in the next stage of development. The expected focus of a PDA is to carry out product development required to enable a technology for clinical use or use in social care, and/or the clinical development of a laboratory-validated technology. Projects must have a clear pathway towards adoption and commercialisation. Projects must have demonstrated proof-of-concept as a minimum, which is generally described as TRL3.
The expected exit point is laboratory and/or clinically validated technology.
Essential requirements for Product Development Awards
- Any R&D activities must be within the scope of our funding programme (more information can be found on the i4i webpage).
- A minimum of two organisations must be involved
- Lead applicants must be based in the UK
- Work packages must not include animal studies
- Projects must have progressed beyond basic research and have demonstrated proof-of-concept
The call opens on 11 October 2023 and the deadline for this call is on 6 December 2023 (13:00 BST).
Please complete and submit your application on the Research Management System (RMS). Please note that the RMS is the only mode of submission.
For this call the i4i participating in the following highlight notices:
- NIHR 2023 Themed call on Reducing compound pressures on the NHS and social care; more information can be found on the Themed call webpage.