About the role
Do you want to work for an outstanding organisation at the forefront of Health and Care research delivery?
The University of Leeds has been chosen by the Department of Health and Social Care to lead the National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR) Research Delivery Network (RDN). The NIHR RDN provides the infrastructure that allows high-quality clinical research to take place in health and care settings in England. This includes assisting researchers and funders to deliver their studies in health and care settings, and supporting the research community to maximise access to leading-edge approaches and innovation, through research participation, so that patients can benefit from new and better treatments and models of care.
We are seeking to appoint individuals with extensive experience of senior leadership within a health or care setting to four National Setting Lead part-time roles on a 0.1 Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) basis to act as high calibre ambassadors for the NIHR RDN and to provide senior leadership and strategic direction for matters of research delivery across the following Settings: Hospitals; Primary Care; Community-Based; Residential Care.
These high-profile national roles will report into the RDN Strategic Development Director and form part of the RDN National Specialty and Setting Leadership team, and will proactively develop effective relationships with decision-makers in the public sector, charity and life science organisations (non-commercial, pharma, medtech, diagnostics and biotech) and other related external stakeholders to further the aims of the NIHR RDN
What you will bring to the role
Essential requirements for the role:
● Extensive experience of senior leadership in a health, care or local authority organisation.
● Extensive experience of leading in the relevant Setting, developing that Setting collaboratively with patients and/or the public and other stakeholders and establishing and sustaining outstanding service and a high-performance management culture.
● Significant experience of delivering research in the relevant Setting and excellent general research delivery expertise.
● Proven ability to translate strategic vision into reality at national scale, and to grasp complex policy, political and operational issues.
● Comprehensive knowledge of national systems, structures and processes for supporting health and care research delivery across a range of settings and of priorities and challenges in this environment.
● Proven skills in developing creative and innovative solutions, with evidence of motivating, supporting and coaching colleagues.
● The ability to work collaboratively, with evidence of successfully developing and maintaining effective working relationships with a wide range of internal and external partners and stakeholders.
● Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to articulate priorities, and effectively to engage and influence others at all levels internally and externally, including through presentations and public speaking.
● Highly developed emotional intelligence and resilience and the ability to operate effectively in an ambiguous and uncertain environment.
● Strong team player with the ability to act as a good citizen within the network representing a diversity of views.
● Politically astute and sensitive to the priorities and dynamics of a complex organisation.
Essential requirements specific to this role:
The National Setting Lead must:
● Be able to demonstrate senior professional status as a health or care leader within the relevant Setting.
● Be an acknowledged opinion leader on research delivery within the relevant Setting, with a breadth of appropriate knowledge.
How to apply
Are you interested in learning more about this exciting position with the NIHR? Please apply directly via our vacancy page.
This role is with NIHR Clinical Research Network Coordinating Centre (CRNCC) and is hosted by the University of Leeds.