About the role
We are looking to recruit a dynamic and experienced Senior Research Manager to manage a high profile NIHR portfolio of clinical and applied health research infrastructure funding schemes.
Reporting to a Programme Lead, and working closely with the Assistant Director of Research Infrastructure, and the Department for Health and Social Care, the postholder will lead the planning and delivery of all activities for their portfolio of research infrastructure schemes. This will include the development of the strategic direction for future funding competitions; leading on the delivery of funding competitions and the management of awards; and working with internal and external stakeholders to capture impact, promote collaborative working and other priority areas relevant to your schemes portfolio.
We are looking for someone with a broad perspective of academia, funding, project management and health related policy. You will liaise with internal and external stakeholders, and provide our community of researchers with support and advice. You will be confident interacting with your peers and the external scientific community; able to demonstrate critical thinking, and an ability to influence and build productive relationships. Meticulous project management skills, with the ability to deliver multiple priorities simultaneously, is essential.
- Developing the strategic direction for existing funding schemes
- Lead the process of commissioning research
- Development of new funding calls
- Stakeholder engagement
- Contract monitoring and annual reporting
- Flexible support to team
Line Management: the post will be responsible for the line management of one Research Manager.
What you will bring to the role
- A PhD degree (or equivalent) in biomedical or health sciences research (or significant equivalent sector experience).
- Substantial relevant work experience, preferably including the delivery of research funding allocation processes, in one of the following environments: research funding body (either government or charitable), research management within the NHS or HEIs, industry or academia.
- The ability to demonstrate an interest in the strategic issues in health and care research funding and policy.
- Strategic thinker able to interpret complex information while having a clear view of the “big picture”.
- Excellent project planning and management skills; able to prioritise and manage multiple tasks, working to challenging targets and deadlines.
- The ability to employ creative approaches to effectively communicate complex information to individuals and groups from a range of different backgrounds and different seniority levels.
- Committed team player with an ability to build effective working relationships.
- Line management and staff development experience (desirable)
If you are interested in working with us and feel you have the appropriate background and skills, please apply with your CV, with the cover letter attached in the same document, outlining your suitability for the role and highlighting your experience against the required criteria, and quote job REF439T.
How to apply
Are you interested in learning more about this exciting position with the NIHR? Please apply directly via our vacancy page.
This role is with NIHR Coordinating Centre (NIHRCC) and is hosted by LGC.