Clinical Research Nurses
Clinical research nurses and midwives are crucial to delivering research. They provide and deliver high quality patient care, deal with data collection, follow-ups, patient groups and industry. They also develop and build multi-disciplinary teams that deliver research.
The NIHR wants to attract, develop and retain the best research professionals to conduct people based research. Key to this is realising the potential of the NIHR funded clinical research nurses (CRNs), midwives and specialist community public health nurses and recognising the vital role they play in the delivery of quality clinical research care.
Keep Making a Difference
Our new campaign aims to attract nurses and midwives into clinical research roles. The Keep Making a Difference campaign is geared toward nurses and midwives nearing retirement, returning from a career break or seeking a career change.
Clinical research has transformed treatment in the NHS and the care patients receive. Research roles are highly rewarding and our campaign is all about encouraging nurses and midwives to consider a research role to keep on making a difference in the field of nursing and midwifery.
Find out more: Keep Making a Difference
Clinical Research Nursing Strategy 2017-2020
Our Clinical Research Nursing (CRN) Strategy reflects the NIHR mission to “provide a health research system in which the NHS supports outstanding individuals working in world class facilities, conducting leading edge research focused on the needs of patients and the public”.
The strategy sets out four strategic goals:
- Creating a clinical research culture that is patient and public focused
- Promoting innovation in research delivery practice to include the use of digital technologies
- Improving awareness and understanding of the specialty of clinical research nursing and its contribution and impact
- Developing leaders to share best clinical research nursing practice locally, nationally and internationally
Find out more:
- Clinical Research Nurse strategy 2017-2020
- Strategy summary Poster
- Strategy summary Flyer
- Read ‘Clinical research nurses have a vital role in high-quality care’ (Nursing Times)
Connecting Clinical Research Nurses
The National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Clinical Research Network supports thousands of clinical research nurses in the NHS - helping them to develop their skills and further their careers through research.
- Sign up to CONNECT: Our monthly newsletter shares information and updates relating to our clinical research nursing strategy. To sign up email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Twitter: Keep in touch with the nursing community using our hashtag #CRNurse.
Celebrating Clinical Research Nurses
Every year to mark International Nurses Day, the NIHR hosts a national meeting to recognise and celebrate the work of Clinical Research Nurses.
It is an opportunity to hear from speakers who work in the clinical research environment and for delegates to present their research work in posters .
- Celebrating Clinical Research Nursing 2018: Access to clinical research: A global challenge