HEE/NIHR Pre-doctoral Clinical Academic Fellowships
The HEE/NIHR ICA Pre-doctoral Clinical Academic Fellowship (PCAF) funds personalised programmes of academic training that will equip awardees with the skills and experience to access doctoral level funding and dedicated time to prepare an application for a competitive, peer-reviewed doctoral level research training fellowship.
Applicants must belong to one of the ICA eligible professions and be employed by a provider of health and/or care services that is providing at least 50% of its services free at the point of delivery.
The full eligibility criteria for the scheme are listed in the Applicant Guidance Notes, which are published to accompany each competition.
Anticipated PCAF Round 2 competition launch: February 2019
The PCAF Round 1 (2018) Chairs' Report is now available. It is a review of the Round 1 PCAF competition and provides:
- a summary of common application weaknesses that were noted by the review panel
- advice for prospective applicants.
Before you apply for a Pre-Doctoral Clinical Academic Fellowship
The PCAF is a two year award (or can be taken up part-time over 30 or 40 months) during which Fellows split their time equally between their clinical position and the academic training funded through the award.
Alternatively applicants can undertake academic training on a full-time basis and complete the award in 12 months.
Applicants can request up to 20% clinical development time paid for through the award (this would constitute part of the academic training time).
Useful Resources for Prospective Applicants:
- ICA PCAF Applicant Guidance Notes These should be read in full before starting an application
- The ICA PCAF Round 1 Chairs' Report is a review of the Round 1 PCAF competition and provides a summary of common application weaknesses that were noted by the review panel and advice for prospective applicants.
- ICA PCAF Frequently Asked Questions
- Starting a Clinical Academic Career with the HEE/NIHR ICA Programme webinar. Full slides available here.
- Applications to the PCAF scheme must be submitted via our Award Management System, Aramis. Please note: The PCAF application form is only available during the application window. Registration on the system, however, can be completed at any time.
- The Employing Host Organisation of successful applicants will be required to agree to the standard NIHR Personal awards contract. A Sample contract can be viewed for information only.
- Applications to the Pre-doctoral Clinical Academic Fellowship scheme are reviewed by the HEE/NIHR ICA PCAF Review Panel.
For Further Information
Call: 0113 532 8401
Email: Academyfirstname.lastname@example.org, With the subject ICA