The NIHR attracts, develops and retains the best health and social care professionals to lead and support the delivery of important research.
We support the delivery of high quality clinical research care
A skilled clinical research delivery workforce is crucial to making research happen in the NHS and other health and social care settings. There are currently over 10,000 front-line research delivery staff working throughout the NHS who are funded or part-funded by the NIHR.
Clinical research nurses and midwives, allied health professionals, social care professionals, doctors, dentists and clinical research practitioners play an important role in the delivery of high quality research care. We support their development and raise awareness of their roles through a number of campaigns and initiatives, including opportunities for health and care professionals looking to take their first step in research delivery.
We develop a highly-skilled academic research workforce
The NIHR Academy supports the development of a skilled academic research workforce by providing career support and training, access to leadership development opportunities, networking events, mentoring and guidance on research funding. We provide fellowships and career development awards from pre-doctoral to professorial level to support the future leaders in NIHR research.
Research can benefit your career
Considering a career in research? A research career can:
- give you an opportunity for further learning in your healthcare specialism to benefit your patients
- enable you to build a career around healthcare areas you are passionate about and explore new areas of interest to you
- provide you with extra skills and qualifications which can benefit your future career prospects
- add variety in your career to boost job satisfaction
Find out what career opportunities are available for your profession.
- The Role of the Clinical Research Nurse
- Keep Making a Difference: Nurses and Midwives
- Clinical Research Nurse and Midwife Strategy 2017-2021
- Allied Health Professionals Strategy 2018-2020
- Integrated Workforce Framework (IWF)