Are you interested in a research career, but not sure where to start? You may have been inspired by a Professor in your department, or maybe you already have a great idea for a PhD project.
We are currently supporting professionals in a range of different professional backgrounds, including:
- Allied health professionals
- Social care workers
- Public health professionals
We also support those working in different settings, including:
- Local authorities
- Community settings
Experience a research career as a student
Our new programmes provide opportunities to learn more about a career in research and to gain valuable experience.
- The NIHR Undergraduate Internship Programme will introduce students to career opportunities in health and social care research. They will undertake a fully-funded short placement, combined with a degree course. Eligible researchers based in university departments can apply for the internships on the students' behalf.
- The INSIGHT: Inspiring Students into Research scheme will provide innovative engagement programmes and Research Masters Studentships to equip students with the skills to deliver research in health and care settings. These regional programmes will be led by institutions, due to be announced in 2024.
When the application windows are open, further information will be available in funding opportunities.
Apply for a pre-doctoral research training award
We support individuals to undertake Masters-level training.
- The Pre-doctoral Clinical and Practitioner Academic Fellowship (PCAF) scheme supports health and social care professionals who are not doctors or dentists
- The Pre-doctoral Fellowship supports those looking to start a career in health and social care research methodology
- The Academic Clinical Fellowship (ACF) is a clinical specialty training post in medicine or dentistry that incorporates academic training
- The In-Practice Fellowship (IPF) provides academic training to fully-qualified general practitioners, general dental practitioners, and community dentists
- The Pre-Doctoral Local Authority Fellowship (PLAF) supports those based within local authority settings
Gain support from an Incubator
Incubators are communities of researchers who support careers in underrepresented areas of health and social care.