What are Research Champions?
Research Champions volunteer their time to help spread the word about health and care research to patients and the public, and especially those groups who are currently less likely to take part in research. They also help research and healthcare staff understand more about the experiences of those who take part in research.
Research Champions are patients, carers, members of the public, people who have taken part in a research study before, as well as those who haven’t. Something that they all have in common is that they are passionate about getting more people involved in research so that we can develop better care and treatment for everyone.
What can Research Champions do?
What you contribute as a Research Champion will be shaped around your interests, skills and time. Some commit to regular activities while others may volunteer as opportunities arise. Research Champions may volunteer to get involved in some of the activities listed below:
- Talk to patients and the public about health and care research e.g. by giving talks, hosting coffee mornings or hosting stands within the local community, visiting health services
- Raise awareness amongst friends and family about research and being a champion for taking part in health and care research amongst people they know
- Promote the Be Part of Research campaign to patient, public groups and help people find out about research studies they can take part in
- Promote the Join Dementia Research website and the importance of dementia research to the public
- Visit local health and care organisations to tell people about health and care research and encourage them to connect with local research teams
- Take part in local actions to mark International Clinical Trials Day and health awareness days
- Write about their experiences of participating in health and care research to share with the NIHR or other platforms
- Speak to interest or patient groups about health and care research
How can I get involved?
If you are interested in becoming a Research Champion or finding out more, then please get in touch with your local contact.
If you are interested in supporting Research Champions in your organisation please contact your local Research Champion lead.
Follow us on Twitter at @NIHRtakepart to find out how patients, carers and the public can get involved in research and use #researchchampions to learn about research champion activities.