Join the NIHR Reviewer Development Scheme
The NIHR Reviewer Development Scheme is for early career researchers who are new to reviewing or want to develop their skills further. The scheme offers members the opportunity to gain experience of peer review for NIHR funding programmes and in turn influence research commissioning.
Reviewing is an excellent way to:
- learn what makes a successful research proposal
- find out about forthcoming research in your field
- use your expertise to influence research
- increase your insight into best practice in health and care research
- gain recognition for your CPD portfolio
As a scheme member you will receive feedback on your reviews, have access to experienced reviewers’ comments and be notified of the committee’s decision about the research brief or proposal you have reviewed.
Each year, all post-doctoral scheme members are invited to apply for a limited number of one year NIHR Committee Member Development Scheme (CMDS) roles.
This scheme is for NIHR Academy and Associate members, MRC Researchers, and Health and Care Research Wales (HCRW)-funded personal award holders who
- hold a current NIHR Academy award or equivalent award as part of an NIHR infrastructure centre, or are in formal training as part of an NIHR funded research project (an NIHR associate member)
- hold a current MRC intermediate (CDA or CSF), CARP or skills development fellowship, a New Investigator Research Grant or an MRC / UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships (FLF) award (with relevant healthcare background)
- are postdoctoral researchers employed on MRC funded project or programme grants or in MRC centres and institutes.
- hold a Health and Care Research Wales-funded personal award
Members must also
- be in their final year at doctoral level or be postdoctoral
- be below consultant level
- not be experienced reviewers or chief/principal investigators with a strong publication track record
Scheme members must be in receipt of one of the following awards
NIHR Personal Awards
- Doctoral Fellowship (final year fellows only)
- Advanced Fellowship
- Development and Skills Enhancement Award (DSE)
MRC personal awards
- MRC Career Development Award
- MRC Clinician Scientist Fellowship
- MRC Clinical Academic Research Partnership
- MRC Skills Development Fellowship
- MRC New Investigator Research Grant
- MRC / UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships (FLF) award (with relevant healthcare background)
HCRW Personal awards
- Health and Care Research Wales-funded personal awards (such as doctoral level awards and post-doctoral fellowships).
HEE-NIHR Integrated Clinical Academic (ICA) Programme
- Clinical Lectureship
- ICA Bridging Schemes
- Clinical Doctoral Research Fellowship (CDRF) – (Final year)
Integrated Academic Training (IAT)
- Clinical Lectureship (CL)
Training within NIHR or MRC Infrastructure and NIHR Schools
Final year doctoral or post-doctoral researchers whose training is within one of the following centres:
- Applied Research Collaborations (ARCs)
- Biomedical Research Centres (BRCs)
- Health Protection Research Units (HPRUs)
- Patient Safety Translational Research Centres (PSTRCs)
- School for Primary Care Research (SPCR)
- School for Public Health Research (SPHR)
- School for Social Care Research (SSCR)
- MRC Centres and Institutes
NIHR Associates and MRC postdoctoral researchers
Final year doctoral or postdoctoral researchers whose training is funded as part of an NIHR research funding award such as an HSDR funded research project, or MRC funded post-doctoral researchers.
Register to join the NIHR Reviewer Development Scheme
If you are interested in joining the scheme, please complete the registration form below.
For more experienced award holders interested in reviewing, please register to join our NIHR community of reviewers.
Your information will be held on our secure Management Information System (MIS) and REsearch Awards Lifecycle Management System (REALMS) databases so that we can contact you when a suitable reviewing opportunity arises.
For longer answers, you can drag the bottom right-hand corner of a text-entry field to expand the size.
If you have any other queries about your eligibility to join the scheme or how to fill out this form, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org