Help to navigate our services
We have created a Study Support Service Route Map for the Life Sciences Industry. This has been developed with life science companies, for life science companies. It's the perfect interactive tool for navigating all our services.
The Route Map visually illustrates the support that we provide at each stage of your research journey. It has handy stops along the way which link to videos and other resources that will help you understand how that support works, and how to access it.
Key features include:
- An easy to understand Study Support Service: Industry Route Map user guide which has also been written by life science companies, for life science companies, and highlights the value of working with us.
- A section containing all the information you need to get started which is especially useful if this is your first time working with us.
- Links to our regional research teams across the England and to other organisations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Begin your journey
Get in touch to request a demonstration of the Study Support Service: Industry Route Map user guide:
Phone: 0113 343 4555
A new national approach
As of 1 October 2018 all NHS sites, life science companies and/or Contract Research Organisations (CROs) conducting commercial contract clinical research in the NHS are mandated to use:
- An unmodified model site agreement (also referred to as model contract or standard research agreement). These are nationally accepted contract terms which, when used without modification, will reduce delays caused by contract negotiations and legal reviews for each NHS site delivering your study.
- The NIHR standard costing methodology which provides a framework for transparent cost display and calculation to support swift local site budget negotiations. This means less variation when defining resource requirements across the country, better transparency in how that resource requirement is costed locally, and better predictability of overall study delivery costs.
- Find out more on our faster costing and contracting web page.
If your already familiar with our services you may want to use these quick links:
Patient Engagement in Clinical Development Service
The primary aim of this service is to bring patients and life science companies together earlier in the clinical development process, before a study protocol is finalised, so that patients can help companies to make the trial design as patient-friendly as it can be.
It is available to all the life sciences industries, including Clinical Research Organisations (CROs).
Please note that this service is a paid for extension of the NIHR Study Support Service and is based on a transparent and fair full cost recovery model.
All you need to do is complete a simple online form and we will use the information that you provide to seek appropriate patients to support your requirements.
Find out more about this service on our Patient Engagement in Clinical Development web page.
One national network
All our NHS sites are connected through our national network - the NIHR Clinical Research Network - which is made up of 15 Local Clinical Research Networks across England. Our dedicated, research-ready workforce of 10,000+ personnel is embedded in the NHS in these 15 regions and works in partnership with NHS trusts locally to plan, set-up and deliver high quality research to target, within set timescales.
This research infrastructure is globally unique and enables national oversight of all the studies we support. It also enables us to target local support where, and when, it is needed.
The research we support is also facilitated by 30 specialty therapy areas. Each of our 15 Local Clinical Research Networks has a research active NHS clinician (known as a specialty lead) for each of the 30 specialties. This provides us with rapid access to a vast breadth of clinical expertise to advise on and support the clinical research we deliver.
These two elements underpin our NIHR Study Support Service and help make the UK one of the top destinations globally for delivering clinical research.
- North East and North Cumbria
- North West Coast
- Yorkshire and Humber
- Greater Manchester
- East Midlands
- West Midlands
- West of England
- Thames Valley and South Midlands
- Kent, Surrey and Sussex
- South West Peninsula
- North Thames
- South London
- North West London
Find out more
Get started by contacting the Study Support Service Helpdesk
If your study is already part of the NIHR Clinical Research Network Portfolio and you need support or help with investigators, site set-up, or recruitment issues, contact your local Industry Operations Manager for support.