The Pre-Application Support Fund provides extra support to those who need it, to enhance their chances of making a successful application to an NIHR career development scheme in the future.
Through providing additional funding, the Pre-Application Support Fund aims to enhance the opportunities available to those that otherwise would not have sufficient support to apply for NIHR career development funding.
Applicants can request:
- a contribution to the salary of the applicant to buy out the necessary time to prepare an application
- relevant training and development, mentorship or supervisory costs specifically associated with developing an application
- other costs where the additional support required to submit an application extends beyond the categories outlined above
Applicants should clearly demonstrate why extra support is needed and how the pre-application support fund will help enhance their planned application.
Who can apply?
The fund is for individuals who require additional support to prepare a competitive application.
Through the scheme we aim to make a positive impact on groups and professions identified as underrepresented within NIHR. As a result, we particularly encourage applications from:
- regulated health and care professionals (nurses, midwives, allied health professionals, pharmacists and healthcare scientists)
- social work and public health professionals
- researchers in methodology
- applicants from ethnic minority backgrounds
- applicants who are disabled
Funding can be requested for up to 12 months.
For round 2, awards must start between 1 August 2024 and 1 November 2024. Individuals looking to start later than 1 November 2024 should apply to the next round of the competition, opening in May 2024.
Please read the guidance notes carefully before applying.