Run your study in the NHS
Our five new national Patient Recruitment Centres are the first family of NIHR research facilities that are 100% dedicated to delivering commercial research.
Our Patient Engagement in Clinical Development Service enables life science companies gain patient insight on proposed clinical trial protocols.
Read a range of case studies describing how we have been delivering novel, complex and innovative clinical trials over the last decade in the UK.
We can help you deliver your study in the NHS
From finding sites to monitoring performance, we offer a range of free support to help get your study up and running and to keep it on track.
We do this by working in partnership with the NHS to deliver high quality clinical research. Our dedicated, research-ready workforce of 10,000+ personnel is embedded throughout the NHS across England. All our NHS sites are connected through our national network. This enables national oversight of all clinical research activity and local targeting of support through our regional teams.
Last year 100% of NHS Trusts recruited participants into clinical studies supported by the NIHR Clinical Research Network and 75% of NHS Trusts recruited participants into commercial contract research.
What would you like to do next?
- Identify sites for your study
Gather expressions of interest to deliver your study from investigators throughout the NHS, including general practice.
- Access our site intelligence service
Use our local site and study intelligence data to sense check your pre-selected site targets and optimise your study delivery.
- Streamline your study set-up
Our national network will help to get all of your study sites set-up quickly and efficiently.
- Experience faster costing and contracting
Quicker, consistent and more cost effective. Learn about the UK’s unified approach to costing and contracting.
- Keep your research on track
We will work with you to ensure it is making progress by monitoring study-wide performance.
- Access internationally recognised Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training
Find out about our Good Clinical Practice training which is recognised by TransCelerate and free for all NHS site personnel delivering your study.
- Access our Study Support Service Route Map
Our Study Support Service Route Map has been developed with life sciences industry, for life sciences industry. It is the perfect guide to accessing our support.
Didn’t find what you were looking for?
If your not quite ready to run your study perhaps you’d like to:
- Contact our Early Contact and Engagement Service for personalised, one-to-one advice about all the different areas of support available to you.
- Access our Early Feedback Service to help you to determine if your study is compatible with UK clinical practice and if it can be delivered in the NHS.
- Contact our Signposting Service to learn how we can support you if you have not developed your protocol or acquired funding yet.
- Find out more about the NIHR Study Support Service for Industry.
“We were aware that the UK had a health research system embedded in its national health service that could potentially help us enroll quickly, and this positively influenced our decision to conduct a trial in the UK. We were [also] keenly aware of the UK’s Urgent Public Health response and process. Our first port of call when bringing the trial to the UK, after the protocol was approved by MHRA, was to work with NIHR to ensure rapid recruitment and enrollment that would ideally provide a near-term view of NVX-CoV2373’s efficacy.”
Wendy Talbott, Senior Director of Clinical Operations at Novavax, March 2021
Working across the UK
Our network is for the NHS in England, but you can be assured that we work collaboratively with our colleagues in Northern Ireland, Wales, and Scotland to enable a smooth and quick research delivery experience across the UK.
Get started by contacting the Study Support Service Help desk
- 0113 343 4555
If your study is already part of the NIHR Clinical Research Network Portfolio and you need support or help with investigators, site set-up, or recruitment issues, contact your local Industry Operations Manager for support.
“Without NIHR support, I don’t believe that we would have been so far in our journey and be at this stage; ready for the study to go live in the next couple of months. And I also don’t think that, as a company, we would really understand how we would develop our evidence strategy at this stage in our life cycle.”
Jonathan Abraham, CEO and Co-founder, Healum
- Eligibility criteria for NIHR Clinical Research Network support for commercial studies
- Local Clinical Research Network contacts for Industry
- Interactive Costing Tool (iCT) - getting started
- User guide for the NIHR study Support Service: Industry Route Map
- Improving inclusion of under-served groups in clinical research: Guidance from INCLUDE project
Latest news about the Life Sciences Industry