Getting started and logging in to CPMS
- Guidance Document
- Version: V1.0
- Date: March 2019
What is Central Portfolio Management System (CPMS)?
CPMS is an online database used for the management of all study records within the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Clinical Research Network (CRN) Portfolio.
CPMS is used to collect and manage study information from set-up to completion and also supports the platform for the life-sciences industry to access our free-of-charge feasibility services. Study data stored in CPMS is used to support performance management of studies so that Portfolio studies achieve recruitment and time targets.
Types of studies on CPMS
Studies included on the Portfolio and managed in CPMS must meet the eligibility criteria outlined by the Department of Health and Social Care. Further details around the NIHR CRN’s eligibility criteria can be found on the eligibility for NIHR support page.
Studies eligible for NIHR support and managed in CPMS are broadly categorised as being either one of the following types:
Non-commercial studies funded by automatically eligible funding streams
These include studies with some or all of their research funding provided by:
Other areas of central Government
NIHR non-commercial Partners
NIHR non-commercial Partners are organisations that:
Award research funds as a result of open competition across England with high quality peer review
Fund research that is of clear value to the NHS, social care or public health
Take appropriate account of the priorities, needs and realities of the NHS, social care or public health in making decisions about the research that they fund
Non-commercial studies funded by potentially eligible funding streams
These include studies with research funding provided by:
Industry: Investigator-initiated, commercial-collaborative research (industry-funded, non-industry sponsored) studies
Commercial contract research
These studies will be commercially funded, commercially sponsored studies, supported by the life-sciences industry which meet the definition of research and have appropriate ethical approval; and Health Research Authority approval where required, prior to initiation at individual sites.
Who uses CPMS and for what activities?
National Portfolio Manager
- These users are based at the Clinical Research Network Coordinating Centre.
- This role allows overall management of study records with complete editing and approval rights for all study record data.
Local Portfolio Manager
- These users are based at Local Clinical Research Networks (LCRNs).
- Local Portfolio Manager access allows some edit rights of study records to support the provision of study information and general troubleshooting. Changes to study records requested by these users must be approved by a National Portfolio Manager.
- For Commercial studies, Local Portfolio Managers are able to provide site specific responses to commercial feasibility requests in CPMS.
Non-commercial study teams
- These users can access the study records associated with their studies and have the ability to upload research activity data.
- Users can request changes to be made to their study records, but these must be approved by a National Portfolio Manager.
- Non-commercial study teams can also apply for ISRCTN registration via CPMS.
Company representatives (Commercial studies)
- Company representatives are able to access our free-of-charge feasibility services through the online submission platform in CPMS.
- Company representatives can also view the study records for the studies they have submitted to us.
How to log into CPMS
Existing NIHR email address holders
Any users of CPMS who already have an NIHR email address can easily log in through the Identity Gateway at cpms.nihr.ac.uk. Simply click on the link “Log in with your NIHR Hub Account” to enter CPMS.
Non-NIHR email address holders
Any new user without an existing account can create an account within CPMS by clicking on the “Create account” link.
You will then be directed to the “Create account” page. Complete the details on the form and agree to the ‘Terms and Conditions’ before clicking the Next button.
You will be directed to a page asking you to validate your new CPMS account via a confirmation link sent to you via email.
When your new account has been created and you have confirmed the link in your email, you can login to the Identity Gateway at cpms.nihr.ac.uk by using the “Non-NIHR Login” area to enter your email and password.
Finding your study
- The toolbar is on the left.
- Your user name is displayed in the top right.
- The information in the orange boxes shows:
- The current number of studies open in CPMS
- The number of studies with activity uploaded in the last month
- The number of participants recruited in this financial year
- Once logged into CPMS, hover over the toolbar on the left and it will expand.
- Click on ‘studies’ and it will show you all the studies that are linked to your user name.
When you no longer require a CPMS account
If you leave your position or for other reasons no longer require a CPMS account, please ensure you submit a request to deactivate your CPMS account by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org