In order to improve the process of applying for NIHR CRN support and inclusion on the NIHR CRN Portfolio, we have built a new Non-commercial Portfolio Application service within our Central Portfolio Management System (CPMS).
Our new service allows investigators to apply earlier and receive an eligibility decision sooner to benefit from the full range of support that our study support service offers.
In time, all non-commercial health and care researchers will be able to apply directly to us, regardless of discipline. Through this service, investigators will supply a tailored set of data for review against the Department of Health and Social Care’s Eligibility Criteria. If the study is deemed Eligible, this data will then be used to automatically populate the CPMS study record, with no further requests for information. Data supplied will be visible across the CRN and the devolved administrations ensuring coordinated support across study sites.
The Non-commercial Portfolio Application service was launched in August 2020 and is being rolled out by the CRN in a phased manner, based on study type.
Which studies can use the Non-commercial Portfolio Application service?
This service is available to all English-led studies, including studies that do not need, and, therefore, are not applying for HRA Approval, with the following exceptions:
- Studies that are applying for HRA Approval through the standard IRAS. These studies should continue to apply for NIHR CRN support by selecting ‘yes’ to question 5b of the IRAS Project Filter.
- Studies that are fully supported by other NIHR research infrastructure. These will not require additional support from the NIHR CRN and need not apply.
This form is designed for the wide range of research studies that the NIHR CRN supports, from clinical trials to public health population studies, therefore some questions may not be relevant to your study design. If this is the case, follow the guidance in the question help text to complete your application.
All applications will be reviewed against the Eligibility Criteria for NIHR Clinical Research Network Support.
Updates on which studies can use the Non-commercial Portfolio Application service will be provided here, so please check back regularly.
If you need further advice contact the Study Support Service Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I apply for NIHR CRN support through the Non-commercial Portfolio Application service?
In order to use the Non-commercial Portfolio Application service, you must first create an account in CPMS. Find out how to create an account and log in to CPMS here.
Before starting your application, it is expected that you will have:
- Discussed your study with your local CRN through our Study Support Service
- Confirmed the sponsorship arrangements for your study
- Secured full research funding for your study, in line with the Department of Health and Social Care’s AcoRD policy
- Obtained an IRAS ID: An IRAS ID is now mandatory for all non-commercial studies requesting NIHR Clinical Research Network services through CPMS. Details on how to obtain an ID can be found on the IRAS guidance pages.
Please note, studies that are not applying for research approvals though IRAS should still obtain an ID but they do not need to complete the IRAS application.
You should submit your application as soon as you have secured full research funding for your study. There is no need to wait until you are ready to apply for ethical and regulatory approvals.
To complete your application you will need to provide a copy of your study protocol and evidence of the research funding you have secured so have these ready before starting your application.
Once we receive your application it will be reviewed against the Department of Health and Social Care’s Eligibility Criteria, and you will be notified of the outcome via email.
Further guidance on how to apply for NIHR Clinical Research Network (CRN) support through the Non-commercial Portfolio Application service is available on NIHR Learn.